Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7, high-quality text-based mental health support and crisis intervention by empowering a community of trained volunteers to support people in their moments of need.
Our mission is at the intersection of empathy and innovation — we promote mental well-being for people wherever they are.
Our vision is an empathetic world where nobody feels alone.
Our core values are at the heart of all we do: connect with empathy, center equity, get it done together, and reflect and evolve.
Why you should join our team:
- Our work is transforming the way people in pain access support at their fingertips
- Our work is innovative in the crisis response space
- Our dynamic, fun, and diverse culture
- Our meaningful cause, led by empathy and innovation
- Our strong values at the center of all we do
- Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Our commitment to engagement and belonging
- Our commitment to our employees and their holistic wellbeing
- Our value of work/life balance
- Our growth mindset and prioritize professional development
- Our leaders who truly care
What you'll be doing:
Crisis Text Line's software engineers develop the next-generation data platform that changes how millions of humans connect with volunteer crisis counselors, our clinical staff and the interaction with one another. Our platform needs to handle information at a massive scale and extend well beyond SMS as a channel. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design, and mobile.
As a staff software engineer, you will be required to solve challenging problems in areas like infrastructure automation, continuous deployment, secrets management, observability, fault tolerance, security monitoring, incident response, and more. You will be part of a team of senior engineers who have deep expertise across distributed systems, messaging systems, networking, security, cloud applications etc.
Crisis Text Line aspires to be an organization that reflects the globally diverse audience that our products and technology serve. We believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, a diversity of perspectives, ideas, and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services.
Crisis Text Line is and always will be a mission-driven company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of our biggest technology challenges and make an impact on millions of users that seek help and support in a moment of crisis. At Crisis Text Line, engineers not only evolve our platform, they routinely work on large scalability and storage solutions, applications, and entirely new features for users around the world.
- You will be an essential part of owning, automating & delivering the continuous delivery platform for all of Crisis Text Line’s efforts in running services on AWS
- You will understand and apply a wide variety of concepts, practices, and procedures of site reliability engineering, and will need to resolve a broad range of issues in creative ways
- As a self-starter, you will be expected to make quick, effective decisions and think outside the box while maintaining a culture of establishing and following best practices
- Using management requirements, you will be responsible for designing solutions and implementing services that focus on availability, performance, automation, monitoring, and security
- You will work on multiple projects of moderate complexity
- You will be responsible for the oversight and management of deployments supporting dev, staging and production environments 24x7
- You will recommend and implement changes to improve the stability, performance, and security of a Kubernetes based application in a production environment
- You will participate in the Project Planning, Design, and Delivery process
- You will proactively maintain system availability, reliability, and performance
- You will drive efficiency through standardization, automation, documentation, and cross-training
- You will provide technical mentorship and drive decision making processes
- You will foster strong communication between your team and both technical and non-technical audiences
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
- 5 years of software development experience, or 4 years with an advanced degree or relevant certifications
- Experience architecting, designing, and implementing SaaS solutions
- Experience deploying and administering applications in a Kubernetes Cluster either cloud managed (GKE,EKS,AKS, etc) or on bare metal.
- Broad and deep experience working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or any other cloud vendor.
- Experience designing, implementing and documenting production infrastructure
- Experience with cloud networking
- Experience scaling and configuring Kubernetes based applications
Salary Range: $126,000 - $178,000
This range is provided by Crisis Text Line. Your actual pay will be based on your skills, experience, location, and applicable law (such as local minimum wage laws). We pay competitively in the tech-forward nonprofit space and offer a robust benefits package.
Only candidates in the following states will be eligible for employment: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, IA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA.
Crisis Text Line employee benefits are thoughtfully designed using an equity lens, acknowledging that we are all unique human beings with individual life circumstances that require flexibility and support.
- 20 paid holidays including:
- Federal holidays like Juneteenth and Labor Day
- Election day
- Holiday break from Dec 24 through January 1
- 2 renewal days
- 2 floating holidays
- Flexible paid time off, including:
- 15 vacation days
- 3 personal days
- 7 sick days
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for the staff member and family at no cost to the employee
- 403B retirement plan (the nonprofit equivalent of a 401K): 3% contribution by Crisis Text Line to support building financial wellness, regardless of personal contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Student loan repayment (after 2 years of continuous full time service)
- Family support through a virtual childcare platform
- Mental health (Monthly)
- Internet Service (Monthly)
- Professional Development (Annual)
- Wellness (Annual)
- Home office setup (One time/First year)
(Benefits only apply to full-time employees)
Crisis Text Line is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We provide reasonable accommodation to individuals who have a disability and meet the skill, experience, education, and other job-related requirements of the role to allow the individual to perform the essential functions of the job.