Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7, high-quality text-based mental health support and crisis intervention by empowering a community of trained volunteers to support people in their moments of need.
Our mission is at the intersection of empathy and innovation — we promote mental well-being for people wherever they are.
Our vision is an empathetic world where nobody feels alone.
Our core values are at the heart of all we do: connect with empathy, center equity, get it done together, and reflect and evolve.
Why you should join our team:
- Our work is transforming the way people in pain access support at their fingertips
- Our work is innovative in the crisis response space
- Our dynamic, fun, and diverse culture
- Our meaningful cause, led by empathy and innovation
- Our strong values at the center of all we do
- Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Our commitment to engagement and belonging
- Our commitment to our employees and their holistic wellbeing
- Our value of work/life balance
- Our growth mindset and prioritize professional development
- Our leaders who truly care
What you'll be doing:
As Vice President of our Volunteer Experience team, reporting into the Chief Operating Officer, you will be responsible for building and implementing a strategy that ensures that we have 1) the right number of volunteers, 2) at the right time 3 ) with the right skills, 4) at the right place, and 5) at the right level of organizational investment (the Five R's), so that Crisis Text Line can continue to grow by supporting more crisis conversations.
Crisis Text Line is a fast moving, growing organization with a big vision and a critical mission. To serve our mission and vision, each role must be agile and flexible to meet the needs of the business, aligning their work with priorities as defined by their manager and team leaders.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan that will ensure overall volunteer growth and engagement resulting in marketplace health
- Actively support Community Management as a key driver in overall volunteer experience, engagement, and retention
- Execute operational initiatives that will achieve the five R’s
- Cross-functional collaboration with other teams (e.g. Marketing and Communications, Policy and Advocacy, Business Development) to coordinate volunteer recruiting, engagement and spreading the word (including philanthropy and advocacy)
- Ensure high quality and effective Volunteer onboarding, training and ongoing learning and development
- Partner with Clinical Supervision team to promote high quality conversations with Volunteers
- Use data to inform decisions, building data access and acumen across the team
- Collaborate with the Product team to improve and scale the volunteer lifecycle journey
- Manage team according to budget with an eye for high return on investment
- Willingness to complete our Volunteer training and take conversations on a regular basis.
- Set clear, impact focused individual goals
- Provide consistent and actionable performance feedback
- Intentionally support professional development
- 10+ years of relevant experience, including leading and scaling large teams and complex work streams
- Demonstrate analytical, strategic, and leadership capabilities with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Experience working with Community Management as a key strategic lever
- Ability to exhibit discretion and strong judgment.
- Superior project management skills. Experience moving projects with multiple stakeholders to fruition.
- Experience managing a diverse team and leveraging team member’s strengths to ensure everyone’s potential is optimized and high employee engagement scores are achieved.
- Experience with queueing systems is a plus.
- Bilingual (Spanish/english) is a plus.
- Has and embed an advanced-knowledge level of cultural awareness and accountability.
- Demonstrate the ability to increase employee diversity by tracking metrics for hiring, retention, and growth.
Salary Range: $136,000-$205,000.
This range is provided by Crisis Text Line. Your actual pay will be based on your skills, experience, location, and applicable law (such as local minimum wage laws). We pay competitively in the tech-forward nonprofit space and offer a robust benefits package.
Only candidates in the following states will be eligible for employment: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, IA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA.
Crisis Text Line employee benefits are thoughtfully designed using an equity lens, acknowledging that we are all unique human beings with individual life circumstances that require flexibility and support.
- 20 paid holidays including:
- Federal holidays like Juneteenth and Labor Day
- Election day
- Holiday break from Dec 24 through January 1
- 2 renewal days
- 2 floating holidays
- Flexible paid time off, including:
- 15 vacation days
- 3 personal days
- 7 sick days
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for the staff member and family at no cost to the employee
- 403B retirement plan (the nonprofit equivalent of a 401K): 3% contribution by Crisis Text Line to support building financial wellness, regardless of personal contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Student loan repayment (after 2 years of continuous full time service)
- Family support through a virtual childcare platform
- Mental health (Monthly)
- Internet Service (Monthly)
- Professional Development (Annual)
- Wellness (Annual)
- Home office setup (One time/First year)
(Benefits only apply to full-time employees)
Crisis Text Line is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We provide reasonable accommodation to individuals who have a disability and meet the skill, experience, education, and other job-related requirements of the role to allow the individual to perform the essential functions of the job.