Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7, high-quality text-based mental health support and crisis intervention by empowering a community of trained volunteers to support people in their moments of need.
Our mission is at the intersection of empathy and innovation — we promote mental well-being for people wherever they are.
Our vision is an empathetic world where nobody feels alone.
Our core values are at the heart of all we do: connect with empathy, center equity, get it done together, and reflect and evolve.
Why you should join our team:
- Our work is transforming the way people in pain access support at their fingertips
- Our work is innovative in the crisis response space
- Our dynamic, fun, and diverse culture
- Our meaningful cause, led by empathy and innovation
- Our strong values at the center of all we do
- Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Our commitment to engagement and belonging
- Our commitment to our employees and their holistic wellbeing
- Our value of work/life balance
- Our growth mindset and prioritize professional development
- Our leaders who truly care
What you'll be doing:
As Chief Technology Officer (CTO), you lead the Engineering, Product and Design teams, ensuring our product vision, technical implementation as well as our data strategies are aligned with our mission. You partner closely with the CEO and the executive team to drive organizational alignment, empowering cross functional teams to build an ecosystem that promotes mental well-being for people wherever they are.
Crisis Text Line is a fast moving, growing organization with a big vision and a critical mission. To serve our mission and vision, each role must be agile and flexible to meet the needs of the business, aligning their work with priorities as defined by their manager and team leaders.
- Build a values-aligned, outcomes oriented culture in our Engineering, Product, Design and Data team
- Support your team and direct reports by setting clear goals, providing consistent and actionable feedback, and intentionally supporting professional development
- Increase understanding of and alignment with product development best practices across the entire organization
- Actively support individual and team racial and gender equity knowledge, and apply understanding through ongoing learning, reflecting and dialogue opportunities
- In partnership with our Business Development team, identify and secure grants and revenue opportunities aligned with your department efforts
- Lead technical and product strategy with a compelling vision and effective execution to create best in class product that empowers our mission
- Identify, assess, and implement emerging technologies to improve the quality and scale of our impact
- Ensure team is providing data and business insights to support cross functional decisions
- Empower the team to work cross functionally, bringing work together under a united road map
- Ensure values-aligned, ethical and innovative data policies and strategies (inclusive of AI and machine learning)
- 15+ years of experience in technology, including 10+ years in senior management
- Experience leading a technical team of 50+, bonus points for leading a distributed team
- Extensive hiring and talent development experience, including building a diverse and inclusive team across all levels and backgrounds
- Experience using contractors and vendors efficiently and integrating them with in-house teams
- Deep understanding and/or appreciation of various critical domains including:
- Front and back end architecture
- SaaS multi-tenant architecture
- Product management (from ideation to delivery, including UX design)
- Data engineering
- Experience navigating both private and public/governmental customers and requirements
Salary Range: $224,000- $356,000
This range is provided by Crisis Text Line. Your actual pay will be based on your skills, experience, location, and applicable law (such as local minimum wage laws). We pay competitively in the tech-forward nonprofit space and offer a robust benefits package.
Only candidates in the following states will be eligible for employment: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, IA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA.
Crisis Text Line employee benefits are thoughtfully designed using an equity lens, acknowledging that we are all unique human beings with individual life circumstances that require flexibility and support.
- 20 paid holidays including:
- Federal holidays like Juneteenth and Labor Day
- Election day
- Holiday break from Dec 24 through January 1
- 2 renewal days
- 2 floating holidays
- Flexible paid time off, including:
- 15 vacation days
- 3 personal days
- 7 sick days
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for the staff member and family at no cost to the employee
- 403B retirement plan (the nonprofit equivalent of a 401K): 3% contribution by Crisis Text Line to support building financial wellness, regardless of personal contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Student loan repayment (after 2 years of continuous full time service)
- Family support through a virtual childcare platform
- Mental health (Monthly)
- Internet Service (Monthly)
- Professional Development (Annual)
- Wellness (Annual)
- Home office setup (One time/First year)
(Benefits only apply to full-time employees)
Crisis Text Line is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We provide reasonable accommodation to individuals who have a disability and meet the skill, experience, education, and other job-related requirements of the role to allow the individual to perform the essential functions of the job.