Looking for opportunities to design and implement data-driven models and solutions for the benefit of millions of smallholder farmers in the Tropics? Ready to start an exciting journey as part of a small team of dedicated scientists and developers? Ignitia is now hiring a service-minded remotely based meteorological science developer with expertise in building code bases for models based on geospatial and spatiotemporal datasets, tracking performance and developing internal tools for rapid prototyping of new science products.
Ignitia is an entrepreneur-led business that offers critical decision support in Africa and South America. Based on several years of development and market traction, our science-based innovation is designed for the agriculture sector. We have developed a weather forecasting system for the Tropics that is twice as accurate as existing models, allowing us to provide daily, monthly, and seasonal forecasts for farmers through SMS, apps and web applications to their mobile phones. Using our forecasts, smallholder farmers have the ability to double yields and incomes, reducing food insecurity and poverty for some of the poorest in the world.
To date we have reached over 2.5 million users and are aiming to reach 200 million by 2030! Due to our pioneering position and proven track record we now offer the right person the opportunity to grow with the company internationally.
Ignitia AB has a vacancy for a full-time remote Senior Science Innovation Engineer. This is a highly creative role and main duties will include:
- Maintain & deploy WRF model instances to support R&D initiatives
- Develop code for weather prediction driven decision support & impact models
- Develop tools (code) for verification of various models’ performance
- Develop tools (code) for rapid prototyping of new science products
- Develop and automate rapid response quality control (QC) systems
- Support the continued development of our science data warehouse (SDWH)
- Support the development of a robust and efficient ETL data pipeline
- Provide on demand analytics utilising verification tools
- Actively contribute towards building our tech/science/product strategies
- Act as a supportive interface between science and other business units
- Build software tools for efficient use of our SDWH
- Monitor performance, ensure data quality, and advise on necessary infrastructure and architectural changes
- Implement best practices for design, architecture and implementation of high-performance, scalable and optimised data solutions
- At times lead a group of supporting developers in the tech implementation
Other duties may include (commensurate with any relevant experience):
- Managing data exploration and visualisation tools
- Support the tech/product development teams in code development
- Present our tech and science to an internal and external audience