ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a nonprofit organization with the mission of providing a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Our platforms include more than 70,000 practice problems, videos and articles that cover a range of preK-12 subjects. Khan Academy’s mastery-based learning system allows students to learn key concepts at a pace that’s right for them before moving on to more challenging content. Our award-winning free app for young children ages two to eight is Khan Academy Kids. In the US, we partner with more than 280 school districts that serve students who are historically under-resourced. Worldwide, more than 150 million registered learners have used Khan Academy in 190 countries and 51 languages. For more information, please see research findings about Khan Academy and our press center.
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY BRAZIL
Khan Academy Brazil aims to deliver a world class user experience to learners that is locally relevant with content, programs, and resources for teachers, schools, and districts. Our platform is a supplemental educational digital resource that offers interactive activities based on mastery-based learning for K-12 grades covering Math, Portuguese, and Science, all aligned to BNCC. We are serving more than 6 million learners a month across our websites, apps and youtube channels, including both independent learners and teacher directed learners in schools. Our goal is to scale the impact of our platform by focusing on partnerships with public districts in Brazil.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Khan Academy is looking for an experienced data scientist to join our growing team. This role will partner with our Latam schools team to drive engagement with our product and improve student outcomes. We are looking for curious, passionate individuals who can apply their strong technical skills to mine for insights across our rich datasets, and work collaboratively across the organization to drive critical strategic decisions. This role will report to our Principal Data Scientist.
In this role you will:
- Identify and measure success of our district team’s initiatives through target setting, forecasting, monitoring, and ongoing analysis of core outcome metrics
- Perform advanced exploratory analyses on large sets of data to extract insights on teacher and learner behavior and inform decisions on investments and initiatives
- Collaborate with Engineering teams to improve tools and datasets and work self-sufficiently with data pipelines (e.g. ETLs) on an as-needed basis
- Use your expertise in experimentation (i.e. AB testing, causal inference) to measure the impact of various programs and interventions
- Contribute to the development of analytics tools and data applications to enhance data access for the district team and Latam leadership, including the development of Latam dashboards to monitor the annual plan goals and objectives (KPIs and targets)
- Collaborate with efficacy researchers to provide curated datasets and/or dashboards for measuring learner outcomes.
- Develop and maintain data dashboards to support the implementation in district partnerships and monitor the adoption of communities of practice with weekly or monthly updates of targets attainment
- Own and manage the prioritization roadmap for data initiatives and projects to support reach, engagement, and resource allocation throughout Latam
You are someone:
- A passion for education and a desire to change the world
- Background in applied math, statistics, economics, or a related technical field
- 5+ years experience in data science or analytics
- Strong SQL foundations & ability to manipulate data using Python (preferred) or R. We are SQL and spreadsheets heavy.
- Strong data storytelling, visualization and communication abilities; prior experience developing BI tools is a plus
- Knowledge of statistical (i.e. multiple regression, hypothesis testing) and machine learning techniques (i.e. clustering, decision tree learning, etc.) for real-world applications
- Prior experience with the end-to-end analytics chain is a nice to have (e.g. data modeling & ETL, BI tool development)
- Residence in the city of São Paulo and flexibility to periodically visit our office in São Paulo, Brazil, to interact with the Latam team
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team like a for-profit.
- Competitive salaries and benefits
- Remote-friendly workplace, i.e. work from home and flexible schedules
- Premium medical and dental plans with life insurance
- Wellness benefits, i.e. personal time off beyond regular vacations
- Professional development focus
- A kind place to work
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume or Linkedin URL in the space provided below.
- Please address the task below and attach your response in the space provided in the Cover Letter below.
SQL: Calculate Retention Metrics
We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.