Nexleaf Analytics is a nonprofit technology company with a unique bottom-up approach for bringing data-driven impact to public health interventions in low- and middle-income countries. Our purpose-driven team designs sensor technologies and data analytics solutions to address global public health challenges. This includes ColdTrace, our sensor and data analytics solution that provides monitoring and actionable insights to improve the efficacy, reliability, and sustainability of vaccine distribution in the hardest-to-reach places. We partner with leading organizations such as Google.org, Gavi, Qualcomm, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and focus on measurable and long-lasting impact.
About the Role
As the first in-house Firmware Engineer at Nexleaf you’ll help us achieve scale and impact by serving on a team that designs and develops the IoT/M2M devices at the core of our platform.
To date we have relied on our manufacture for firmware development but see a need and tremendous value to bring that in-house for tighter coordination with our product managers and existing engineers. You will be a part of this transition, working to bring the practices of our robust and professionalized development team to our hardware and firmware.
To do this you’ll learn the ins and outs of our systems, understand our business and product strategy, work to develop new and improve existing hardware, firmware, test procedures, and documentation, all with a shared goal of helping the organization achieve its vision!
This role will require some (15%) international travel.
In this role you will:
- Work in a highly collaborative and cross functional capacity with product managers, designers, and front and backend engineers to ensure we are building the right solutions to solve users’ problems
- Help drive and facilitate technical decision making, including evaluating hardware and firmware design and architecture decisions for scale
- Own large portions / modules of the firmware, improve them, and be the go to technical expert for them. Be able to use this knowledge to drive execution balanced with strategy.
- Build and validate improvements and new features following best practices in ways that are scalable and align with system goals
- Plan & execute large projects that range widely from revamping a communication protocol (e.g. switching to MQTT), refactoring and improving core application code, to building new BLE sensors to work with our existing system to support new use cases
- Guide and improve hardware and firmware engineering standards, documentation, tooling, and processes.
- Develop appropriate tests, help coordinate testing, and write insightful documentation that the entire engineering team can rely upon
- Oversee regular releases partnering with backend engineers to ensure over the air updates happen smoothly
- Assist or manufacture with evaluation of parts for updated or new designs and board bring up