Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a digital banking platform that puts its 1.9 million members' financial goals within reach. With intelligent borrowing, savings, budgeting, and spending capabilities, Oportun empowers members with the confidence to build a better financial future. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $15.5 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2.3 billion in interest and fees, and helped our members save an average of more than $1,800 annually. For more information, visit Oportun.com.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups.
This role is responsible for leading and inspiring a large engineering organization. Engineering is at the heart of everything we do at Oportun. As the leader of our engineering organization, you will be responsible for the growth of our engineering team and culture for years to come. This role reports to the Chief Technology Officer and a part of the Engineering, Product, and Design Leadership Team. As a member of this team, you will have a wide overview of all of Oportun’s business and play an important role in shaping our technology and product strategy.
We are an impact driven organization that deeply values our people and culture. As a result your job is threefold:
1. Deliver impact. As a part of the senior leadership team, and the leader of our engineering organization, your goal is to ship high quality software quickly that help our members achieve their financial goals. Building and shipping high quality software requires a deep investment in technical excellence, and a deep commitment to the team that is building it.
2. Build and grow our engineering team. We are evolving at a rapid pace and want leaders who will attract the best talent in the world to come join our team.
We have an extremely talented engineering and engineering-management organization that is hungry for mentorship and growth. You will help us grow and become the best possible versions of ourselves.
3. Deliver technical excellence. Help us be the sharpest software engineering team in the world. Empower your team to make smart technical decisions.
Build process and tooling that unblocks engineers from building bug-free, performant software that is a joy to work in.
- Build and grow Oportun’s high performing engineering team.
- Mentor and grow our engineering management organization and our staff+ engineers.
- Deliver impact by helping the engineering team execute.
- Help define engineering OKRs and provide guidance to your team on prioritization.
- Provide technical guidance and make strategic technical decisions, either directly or through engineering committees.
- Work cross functionally with our leaders in Product, Design, Operations, Marketing, Legal, Compliance, and Finance.
- Build bridges with Oportun engineering leadership.
- 15+ years of experience with a demonstrated track record of success in software engineering.
- Prior success in leading engineering organizations to design, architect, and ship either products that are used by millions of people or infrastructure for highly available, scalable, reliable, and secure cloud platforms.
- 8+ years of building and scaling diverse, inclusive, and high-performing engineering teams. Experience growing managers and managers of managers, as well as Principle engineers.
- Operational experience in modern agile engineering approaches in developing, running, and maintaining software
- Demonstrated ability to work through ambiguity to detailed solutions.
- Foster a team culture of innovation, partnership, and team enablement
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience maturing and evolving an engineering team within the context of a public company.
- BS or advanced degree (MS+) in a technical field (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or similar).
- Experience in recruiting engineers and managers.
"The US base salary range for this full-time position is $212,500 - $ 340,000.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects a national minimum and maximum range for new hire salaries for this position. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, such as job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range that meets your criteria during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation range listed in this posting reflects only the base salary for this position and does not include other compensation elements or benefits.”
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
California applicants can find a copy of Oportun's CCPA Notice here: https://oportun.com/privacy/california-privacy-notice/.
We will never request personal identifiable information (bank, credit card, etc.) before you are hired. We do not charge you for pre-employment fees such as background checks, training, or equipment. If you think you have been a victim of fraud by someone posing as us, please report your experience to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).