ABOUT PLAYWORKS, At Playworks, we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services, including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION, in the role of Operations Specialist, you will assist with the oversight and coordination of Playworks’ administrative and capacity-building functions. This position is a key resource in advancing Playworks’ goals. It will work with Playworks staff and AmeriCorps Members as well as with external partners, donors, and volunteers to create and grow a sustainable and well-organized community-based organization. This hourly, non-exempt, hybrid role will work both in-person and remotely, supporting our Southern California Playworks team.
Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
AmeriCorps Compliance (35%)
- Distribute, collect, and maintain personnel documentation to ensure AmeriCorps (AC) member eligibility.
- Support/facilitate AC events and trainings, including but not limited to preservice training, motivation workshops, AC graduation, AC work activities, and timesheet training.
- Update personnel/program information on government databases, including eGrants
- Oncorps Timesheets, hours tracking, reviews, and approvals of AmeriCorps timesheets on a regular basis.
- Manage AC volunteer recruitment, orientation, onboarding, database, training, and recognition activities.
Program Quality Evaluation (25%)
- Data-driven support of program quality and learning through participation in the Maximizing Impact Team and duties related to that team.
- Support and activate data collection, including School Engagement Surveys, Step Back Tools, and Output Tools
- Support all Junior Coach Data Collection Procedures, including Enrollment, Assessments, and Training hours tracking throughout the year.
- Support service quality standards across various regions and departments, implementing a unified approach to assess performance and impact.
- Facilitate the hiring process for all staff and members, ensuring all necessary paperwork is completed, including the initiation of background checks for all new hires in accordance with state and federal regulations.
- Maintain employee files and database to ensure proper certifications and documentation for all regional staff and members are current and on file.
- Support and manage various aspects of the recruiting process (contacting local recruitment sources such as colleges and universities, posting open positions on various online/print sources, coordinating interviews, and managing recruiting database).
- Collaborate with the National People Team on HR/personnel-related activities and communication, such as benefits, background checks, onboarding, offboarding, etc.
- Support recruitment, orientation, and onboarding processes through established measurable training or program outcomes and recognition benchmarks to ensure service or program success.
Capacity Building (15%)
- Plan, organize, and coordinate staff meetings, support fundraising activities, community events, including logistical support and follow-up activities such as emails and calls.
- Project monitor for current and newly created projects.
- Support, implement, monitor, and evaluate branding efforts.
- Deepen understanding of service implementation priorities, identify areas for improvement, and address management challenges to optimize outcomes.
- Attend, assist, and represent Playworks at various key events/functions, speaking engagements, tours, and other programs.
Office Management (5%)
- Support the region’s operational needs and liaise with the headquarters operations team.
- Reconcile and submit receipts, and prepare expense reports on a timely basis.
- Ordering, Inventory, and Distribution of supplies and other operational needs.
To provide a complete picture of this role, here are some details::
- Success in this position will require flexibility and adaptability with the ability to quickly shift from one situation or task to another.
- The strongest candidate will be a self-starter with superior organizational skills with excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- You will be successful if you possess the ability to thrive in an environment that is characterized by growth, diversity, and change.
- You will be able to build rapport quickly in a fast-moving environment.
Required Skills & Experience
- At least two years of relevant work experience, preferably with nonprofits, fundraising, and/or education/school/youth development services
- General administrative and office experience.
- Strong presentation and communication skills, both verbally and in writing, with experience communicating effectively with a broad and diverse audience
- Advanced computer skills, especially Google Suite, with the ability to learn new technology quickly. Knowledge of Salesforce is a plus.
- Demonstrated database management skills.
- Proven ability to problem solve, set priorities, and juggle competing demands effectively with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to use discretion, professionalism, and good judgment and maintain a high level of confidentiality and sensitivity
- Ability to communicate/interact professionally and effectively with a broad and diverse range of individuals (includes executives, business leaders, coworkers, students and teachers, variety of cultures and backgrounds)
- Comfort with playfully professional workplace culture. Interest in and commitment to the tenets of AmeriCorps, volunteerism, and national service programs. Experience working with an Americorps program is a plus!
- Passionate commitment to Playworks’ mission and vision to improve outcomes for children and schools.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work, and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- In compliance with California’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the expected hourly rate for this full-time, non-exempt position is $24.62 per hour.
- Expected working hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am-4:30 pm., and some weekends (e.g., Days of Service support)
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with 3% employer match, life insurance, employee-funded pre-tax health, and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful, and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges, and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested if competitive for the position.
Other things you need to know:
- If a Playworks employee is required to drive a vehicle for work-related purposes (not commuting purposes), the employee must complete an authorization form and provide us with evidence of valid, current driver's license and proof of liability/collision/property damage insurance with minimum coverage of $50,000 each accident/ $100,000 each occurrence.
- Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping, and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
We are committed to racial equity, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color, indigenous people, gender non-binary people, and people with historically more marginalized identities to apply for open positions. Our core values of cultivate play, center equity, continue learning and collaborate within communities are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, faith, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates for employment, volunteering opportunities or board service on a merit basis.