Simprints is a nonprofit tech company with a mission to radically increase transparency and effectiveness in global development. We build ethical, inclusive digital ID powered by biometrics to verify that health, aid, and services truly reach people. Simprints partners with organizations like Gavi to boost immunization rates in developing countries, Ministries of Health like Ghana on pandemic response, and NGOs like BRAC to deliver maternal healthcare. Studies have shown Simprints increases impact through real-time, precision data, for example increasing maternal health visits by 38% in Bangladesh or accurate HIV tracing by 62% in Malawi. Today we’ve worked in over 17 countries helping deliver health, aid, and finance to >2.5M people. Our goal is to transform the way the world fights poverty, ensuring that every vaccine, every dollar, and every public good reaches the people who need them most.
About the Role
We’ve just raised new catalytic funding to scale our work. We’re looking for an ambitious Data Scientist with experience in biometrics to join our team during this exciting growth phase. You will be working on improving our biometric products which are specifically designed to work in the toughest contexts of the planet. You will work in an agile, collaborative team with a commitment to clean code and robust design, along with a strong culture of continuous learning and improvement. If building technology for global health and international development sounds exciting, we want to meet you!
This is a remote job; we are currently only able to accept applications from candidates based in the United Kingdom, France, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, Ghana, Ethiopia or Bangladesh and the candidate must have the right to work in one of these. We are unable to support relocation or visa sponsorship.
UK Grade 6: £55,000 - £75,000, with a cost-of-living adjustment for non-UK residents
At Simprints, we want everyone to feel ownership of the tasks they are working on, starting from your first day. As a senior biometrics data scientist you will be given a “north star” in the shape of a KPI or goal and you will be asked to come up with a strategy to get there. Within the first month, we’ll help you set your environment up, and you will start playing with data. By your third month, you will have a good understanding of how our products are used and you’ll start evaluating and setting up metrics. In six months, you will lead with a high degree of autonomy our biometric algorithm evaluations and improvements plan. You will champion best practices to achieve the best operational accuracy and work closely with the engineering and delivery teams to implement them.
- Conduct thorough data analyses to understand product performance (e.g. biometric accuracy, adoption, user behaviour)
- Evaluate and benchmark different biometric SDKs and algorithms on the market
- Design data collection protocols and work together with the product and project management teams to collect data
- Make recommendations on product performance improvements
- Design and monitor product performance dashboards and KPIs
- Use various statistical analyses and tools to optimise thresholds and deduplication processes using biometric algorithms (e.g fingerprint and face recognition)
- Collaborate with other data scientist and engineering team to develop and maintain data models and company-wide dashboards